Monday, February 16, 2009

Mera naam Katie hai. Aap kaise hai?


I am slowly but surely learning Hindi. Trying to pick up a totally foreign language is a good way to make yourself feel over-the-hill. Suddenly I realize just how far gone my capacity for language is. Pity. I'm beyond the point in psychological development where I can even distinguish between different sounds if they aren't familiar. In addition to being a depressing reminder of my old age, Hindi classes have been a real lesson in humility. Since the script is completely different I have to sound out each word like a kindergartner every time I'm asked to read aloud. "M..ai Vi-d-yaaar...tee-ni hoo?" The sentence structure in Hindi is also completely foreign. Essentially, Hindi is Yoda-speak, where the verb is always in the wrong place. For example, to say "The pen is on the book," one would say "kitab pur kalam hai," which literally translates to "book on pen is."

Hindi and English are the two national languages in India, but that doesn't necessarily mean that everyone speaks them. There are well over 100 dialects that people speak as their first language and if they go to school they'll learn some Hindi as a second language. English is taught as a third language for most people, but those who speak it are generally more fluent in English than I am...which is another lesson in humility. In Hyderabad most people speak Telugu, so the shaky, ill-pronounced phrases of Hindi that I'm picking up will really only be helpful to me when I travel to places like Delhi or Mumbai. As a result of trying to communicate in Hyderabad, I think I'll return home to the USA speaking only in the present tense in one syllable words using lots of facial expressions and hand gestures.

If nothing else, I will leave my Hindi class with a new secret code to write in. I practiced writing in Hindi script by writing out the names of some of my blog readers in the picture above...or at least, I think I wrote your names...I'm still learning. Can you guess which one is yours?

6 comments:

  1. They all look pretty much the same to me, but I'm sure you probably put my name at the top of the list. I guess you should have stayed with Spanish, but how many can say they have studied Hindi?

    ReplyDelete
  2. trying to figure out which one could possibly be mine is giving me a panic attack. i have absolutely no frame of reference to work with here. :( i think i broke a hip or something...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet you're pulling our legs and that's all just gibberish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my name had better be one of those-and if it is not, i would like you to write my full name, first middle and last, now and send me a picture of it. I'll trade you saying your name with a non-rhotic "r" aka with a british accent

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine must be one of those with the two feelers with little bulbs hanging off of them ~ a representation of my eyebrow growth.

    Your explanation of Hindi starts to explain my travails with call centers (those in the USA that is)

    ReplyDelete
  6. so is Hindi read right to left or left to right?

    ReplyDelete