Wednesday, May 6, 2009

And Now for Something Completely Different

***DISCLAIMER: This entry was written on very little sleep and high culture shock***
How does one sum up four and a half months in India? It's probably not possible. The best example I can think of comes from the other night in Shimla when, by some Indian Karmic miracle I ran into my friends from the University. We were sitting in our hotel that night talking with some other travelers and we ended up completely dominating the conversation as we told them every crazy story we had from the past semester. We realized after several stories that every experience we had ended with some phrase like, "It was so intense! I was horrified! It was one of the most extreme things to ever happen to me! But...I loved it. I'd do it again in a minute!" That might just be the best way to describe the semester in India, terrifying, extreme, challenging, and for some reason wonderful--a five month adrenaline rush. I'd go back in a second, but for now I have to say goodbye.

My last hours in India were appropriately chaotic, disorganized and overwhelming as I attempted to go to the post office to mail some things home (I could write a whole blog about that experience), pack my bags at the last minute, say a few more goodbyes, and make it to the airport on time (I perhaps should have called the cab in advance...)

Culture shock is quickly taking it's toll. I began to realize how much of an issue this would be while I was traveling in the Himalayas. None of the mild Tibetan food tasted spicy enough for me and I had to salt and pepper everything to unreasonable levels. I kept trying to haggle with the peaceful, fair Tibetans and I kept "head bobbling" instead of nodding to indicate "yes." I was also freezing. I was very happy to return to Hyderabad where every bite of food cleared my sinuses, everyone was trying to rip me off, the "bobble" carried meaning, and it was a comfortable 113 degrees Fahrenheit. I was even beginning to enjoy the feeling of being one of the only Westerners around.

When I boarded the plane to Amsterdam I think I experienced a very small panic attack. White People. Everywhere. You can't imagine the shock that this put me into. My heart was racing and I felt suddenly very dizzy and overwhelmed. To add to the confusion, the KLM flight attendants, assuming I was one of their own, kept speaking to me only in Dutch. To add to their confusion, my natural reaction to every question they asked me was to bobble my head side to side and say "theek hai, accha."

This is going to be a very interesting few weeks.

I'm sure India has changed me in many ways, but the most obvious is my total lack of organizational skills. I remember a time when I was the kind of person who was punctual, well-prepared, and eager to plan things, but if my arrival in Amsterdam is any evidence, India has completely rid me of any of those qualities. I have never been less prepared for anything. I have two weeks in Europe with no plans whatsoever. I looked at my wallet full of Rupees this morning and realized I was not even sure what currency they use in the Netherlands (turns out it's the Euro.) My knowledge of this country is limited to a few two-syllable phrases like "Vermeer," "Anne Frank," "Windmills," "Drug use." Beyond that, I really know nothing. I don't know what to do here, I don't know where to go next, and I certainly don't know how I will survive this freezing 60 degree weather. But therein lies the adventure.

7 comments:

  1. Go to Edam and buy me some cheese! It comes sealed in wax, so it doesn't need to be refrigerated. The Van Gogh museum is very good too. Somewhere in the middle of town is a really great pancake shop. I can't remember where or what it's called, but it is great.

    Thanks for posting a picture of a monkey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you go to Keukenhof, dress really, really warmly. Even then you'll be cold. If you're in to miniature sim cities you can go to Maduradam. Dress warmly. And if you walk around just to take it all in, dress warmly. From time to time stop at a coffee shop to have a nice hot latté. When you go back outside, dress warmly. You're no longer in Hyderabad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you'll survive. I'm not feeling real sorry for you with the problem of what to do in Europe. Poor thing. The real culture shock is going to set in when you get home. God help me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go to the Dampkring! I think that's what it's called. It's where they shot Ocean's Twelve!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Phyllis on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have so enjoyed following your travels in India. Please let us know if you come to NYC. Julia's mom.

    ReplyDelete