Thursday, March 12, 2009

Holi Sh*t


Let it be known that 1) we STILL don't have internet in our dorms so in order to post to the blog I STILL have to ride at least a mile on my (poor excuse for a) bike in 100 degree heat uphill both ways being chased by cows and 2) I've been a tad under the weather so the aforementioned bike ride has been significantly less fun. 3) In the course of writing this blog the power went out like five times. I'm doing my best, so some people (COUGHnicoleCOUGHkarstanCOUGH) can stop complaining when I don't write blogs...you can't see it, but I'm sticking my tongue out at the computer right now.

I mean...you could just CALL me if you really miss me that much...

Moving on...
Yesterday was the Hindu festival of Holi, more commonly known to Westerners as "That Indian holiday when people throw paint at each other." It has to do with the arrival of spring, but it truly is just an uncontrollable, nationwide paint fight.




Step one: Acquire Colors
You may recall this picture from the last post of paint pigment powder for sale in the market in Mysore.







Step two: Prepare for battle
Here you see me armed with my (clean) sweats, my squirt gun, and my bag of hot pink (surprised?) powder.







Step three: PAINT FIGHT!!!
Immediately upon leaving the dorm we were attacked by a gang of rainbow-colored teenage boys with Holi powder.
Every person we passed was just as colorful/ just as ready to attack.
Every colorful opponent went straight for the face.
My initial reaction each time I was attacked was to scream and as a result I ate a lot of paint.






Step four: Lather, Rinse, Repeat
I have never been so deserving of a shower. As it turns out, paint pigments dye the skin and the hair. I did a pretty good job scrubbing, but I still have a few purple patches. A lot of my friends look like Easter eggs.

Happy Holi!!!!


5 comments:

  1. I think Indians find even more excuses to get out of school and work than the French.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you could form a pop group known as Pink Katie! Or wear this design to your next Irish dance so you'll stand out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! It looks like the scene out of the movie "Outsourced" I hope the paint pigments are non toxic. Did you actually show up for class like that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i can imagine some uninformed tourists showing stepping out of their hotel one morning to a very unpleasant surprise... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for riding your bike uphill both ways in 100 degree heat being chased by cows etc. When you get home, you can ride my pink bike downhill if you want! I'm glad they had hot pink paint for you!

    ReplyDelete