Saturday, March 21, 2009

Revolutionary Road


The three month anniversary of arriving in India is fast approaching and along with this milestone comes a strange assortment of cravings for Americana. I have now arrived at a place where I have pretty much completely adjusted to the Hyderabad lifestyle. My cravings for things from home now come spaced at large intervals and though they are quite rare, they seem to come on much stronger than before. I am not, for example, sick of Indian food, but last night I was viciously attacked by the sudden, insatiable NEED for tortilla chips and salsa.

I suspect I am not the only American here that is having these strange, three-month withdrawal symptoms. My suspicion was confirmed when a group of us came up with the idea to venture to Hyderabad's swankiest movie theater the other day to see Revolutionary Road. A very expensive 100 Rupee ticket (2 dollars) gains you admission to this posh structure which boasts a shopping mall, an Imax screen, a McDonald's, a crisp, cold air-conditioning system, and big clean theaters with plush seats. Guilty, guilty pleasures. I really do love Bollywood movies, but Revolutionary Road was a nice break from Indian Cinema. It was bleak, depressing and thought-provoking and included realistic acting, flawed characters, violence, rough language, sex scenes, and not a single musical number. It was also in a language that I understand.

I highly recommend this film even if you aren't having America-cravings. I suspect it's good in the USA too.

I'm beginning to wonder what kinds of India cravings I will have after returning to the States. Will I suddenly have the urge to eat a whole box of soan papdi? Will no food ever taste spicy enough for me? Will all American films seem too dark and too lacking in pop music? What's a girl to do?

4 comments:

  1. tortilla chips and salsa? I'd like to have a meal *without* any...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a business opportunity to me. There must be a gazillion US expats in the area, all harboring similar secret cravings. Why, you could probably outsource it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we were abroad the common foods expats craved were Oreos and peanut butter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, when you get home I will have plenty of chips and salsa on hand. I also just discovered the best tortillas ever--multigrain tortillas with flax seeds that I purchased at Target. They are so good!

    ReplyDelete