Thursday, April 23, 2009

Jaana, to go.

I just finished my last final exam for the semester and tonight I'm hopping on a plane to go to the Himalayas via Delhi. I planned this excursion "Indian Style," meaning, I have no plans, nothing is organized, I have no clue what to expect, and after a lot of chaos somehow in the end everything will fall perfectly into place.

I'm thinking of going from Delhi to Dharamsala to Manali so I checked the weather reports for those places last night. Delhi is expected to be well over 100 degrees for the next week, Dharamsala will be somewhere in the 70s-80s range, and Manali is expecting snow...yes, snow. Leave it to me to find a way to visit three distinctly differnt climate zones in a 10 day period. I have no idea what to pack.

This week has been kind of emotionally tumultuous as I slowly come to the realization that I'm going to have to say goodbye (forever?) to this group of people that I have lived with, traveled with, shared three meals a day (and tea time) with, etc, etc, etc, for a whole semester. Add to that the stress of studying for finals, and the stress of packing, and the stress of impending culture shock, in addition to the looming reality of summer unemployment, and you can perhaps imagine the strange mood that I've been in lately.

Sounds like I need a vacation, eh?

Oh! What a coincidence.

3 comments:

  1. You made it through the week...and now more adventure to come. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can be unemployed together.... should we do a quilt camp? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, finishing a study abroad program is really sad...my friends and I keep talking about a reunion but 7 years later we still haven't all seen each other. and you'll be even more depressed when you get back to oxy in the fall and it will feel like you've regressed.

    I don't know where any of those places are that you're going. I guess I could look them up. but they sound fun. I wouldn't mind playing in some snow right about now.

    ReplyDelete